1820: The pirate Tourkodimitris, a Greek from Kranidi who had turned Muslim, raided the islands of Schinoussa, Koufonissi and Keros. On Keros, ten men who were helping the monks resisted and were immediately put to death. The pirates then pulled down the buildings, took the monks up the hill of Panagia, the site of the old castle, and killed them by throwing them off the cliff.
Later the property of the monastery was rented out as pastureland. The shepherds rebuilt the chapel on the same spot, a spare structure without a dome, with stone walls and a thatched roof.
They placed inside three icons, those of the Virgin, St George and St Nicholas, preserved to this day.
1979: The roof is repaired.
1992: A belfry is built.